With families and individuals needing to shop with increasingly small budgets, it is important to spend every dollar wisely. Dollar stores aid you in doing this, if you know how to shop them.
There are a couple different types of dollar stores in Bangor and surrounding areas. One type is the everything-is-a-dollar store. The other type is one that sells items for $1+. Both types, when shopped wisely, will save your household a great deal of money throughout the year.
There is important information that you will need to have before planning to shop one or more of these stores. You will want to know:
- Whether or not each dollar store near you accepts coupons.
- What regular items/brands each location sells, and how much if for more than $1.
- What the regular prices are for the same products at other stores in the area, such as Kmart.
- What the sales prices are at other stores each week, in case they go lower than the dollar store prices.
- You will also want to get on their mailing lists for sales fliers.
It is certainly more frugal to buy some of these items at other stores during some sales, so you will want to pay close attention to all sales in your area to get the best possible prices.
Now that you are ready to get started, here are five tips for dollar store shopping trips:
- Look at how much each package of food is going to make. If you have and want to bake them brownies for dessert one night, a small box of brownie mix from the dollar store for $1 will not always be enough. It might be necessary to buy at least two boxes at this price. Pick up the regular size box from the grocery store down the road, if it is cheaper.
- Use coupons whenever you can at dollar stores.
- Do not stock up on a product until you have tried it. For instance, a $1 off-brand bottle of shampoo may be larger than a name brand type, but you might notice that it does not work well for your hair type when you get it home. This will waste money. Keep in mind that it is often a better deal to get the name brand anyway, when using a coupon.
- Pots and pans with nonstick surfaces may not be worth your dollar, as the coating often starts to peel after one or two washings.
- Be aware that some of the dish towels and dish cloths sold at these places may not be as absorbent as others. Check the fabric to be sure you are getting what you want.
Feel free to share your tips for dollar store shopping. What are your favorite products at which chores? What are your least favorite products? Why are you not fond of them?